Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thanks HVTU

My friend Randi Kirchner from the Rochester field office of Education Minnesota asked me to speak to the Hiawatha Valley Teachers United group.  I can't say no to Randi.  She wrote a beautiful letter for my state portfolio and has been one of those folks who have helped me navigate my role in the union.

Bonnie Van Putten, a teacher from Plainview-Elgin-Millville was in charge of introducing me.  Bonnie said one of the nicest things I have heard this year when she took the podium after my speech.  She said "that is what a teacher of the year looks like".  I was moved to tears. I had the opportunity to hear Tom Keating at this very meeting in 2005. He was amazing and I remember thinking that I would like to be able to give a speech like that one day. I gave him a shout out in the parking lot before I went in and felt his presence all evening. Tom was an inspirational teacher who was killed in a car accident in 2006. I remembered him last night and have thought about him often this year. Thanks for the invitation HVTU and thanks to Mr. Keating who leaves a powerful legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment