Monday, April 30, 2012

One Teacher's Story....

Meet my colleague here at Goodview School. He serves us all in the military and was recently deployed to Afghanistan. All of us in his teaching community were surprised to learn that upon his return home and to his teaching job, that he was responsible for paying his sub out of his differential pay.  This seemed so wrong and so unfair that the union got to work.  We told his story over and over to anyone who would listen and anyone who would help.  For awhile, it seemed like the cause was hopeless until one day last December.......


I had been invited to the Governor's Mansion for lunch, remember?  I brought along several Christmas cards and letters from kids in our school district and one from my friend, the teacher.  I read his card to the Governor and Mr. Dayton was shocked that such a law would be on the books in Minnesota.  He took the card and told me that he would see to it personally. Weeks and weeks go by and we see few glimmers of hope to change the law for future teachers until............(stay tuned, this could be really, really cool!)  

2 comments:

  1. What?? A cliffhanger?? What happened???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is crazy. I hope this story has a happy ending. I'll stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete