Sunday, April 15, 2012

Teacher Evaluation

I have done lots of thinking and have had many conversations this year about teacher evaluation. I think it happens to all of us, teachers, parents, professionals in all kinds of careers, that we find ourselves feeling ineffective every now and then.  It is an uncomfortable feeling at best and the cause of great anxiety at it's worst. As a teacher, I get really uncomfortable when I don't feel like I am teaching "in the zone" and quickly change gears.  It doesn't happen too often.  I can't imagine anything more difficult than having 15-35 faces looking to me to teach everyday while struggling to connect to them.  I captured two moments last week that had me on the spot to either connect or be ineffective.

It seemed like a giant sea of kindergarteners as I sat alone on that blue chair at Coldspring Elementary.  This is not a spot to be unsure or tired or out of sorts. Good thing I brought my best singing voice (and that the audience really didn't care what that sounded like) and a wonderful book. It was a wonderful confidence booster as I headed to St. Cloud.



I don't think I will ever really be comfortable in the first three minutes of a speech.  On this stage I was especially nervous.  This was a gathering of teachers, coordinators and rock stars at the Minnesota Association for Family and Early Education (MNAFEE) annual conference. It was a thrill for all of us who work in ECFE programs all over the state to have a parent educator be honored by Education Minnesota. In celebration, the committee asked that I close the conference. I spent the first three minutes choking back tears. I imagine that one day in the near future, to measure my effectiveness, I will need to document peer evaluation. I will start my portfolio with this, it's blurry because it is hard to take a picture while I am shaking and moved to the core.


It is with great pride that I have represented this fine group of teachers who have dedicated their careers to parents and small children in the very beginning of their journey together.  Thank you so much for the opportunity to share my journey with you! 

After my speech, a few of the rock stars in the room gave me some advice about my next steps. Thanks Lois Engstrom, Jean Illsley-Clarke and Susan Hoch for the work you have done to support the work of ECFE. It was a very good day indeed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment