Monday, October 24, 2011

Professional Conference Highlights


I am so sad that I didn't get a picture with three of my fellow top 10 finalists, Mark, Scot and Joyce.  We had fun participating on a panel for brand new teachers.  It was great to see my friends again! I heard some great stories (one about a crate to behind ratio) and we shared some fantastic tips for surviving that first year of teaching.  We were whisked away to the main ballroom where I was seated on the stage with friends from Education Minnesota and Donna Brazile.  The empty seat on the stage was reserved for Governor Dayton. I was nervous about my speech being too long so I started by asking if I could have the Governors minutes when a shout came from across the room that he was there!  I invited him to join me at the podium and presented him with some talking points and an invitation to lunch.....


He said YES!! He was such a good sport and more than gracious.  I look forward to our lunch and the opportunity to share my big ideas with him.  Donna Brazile asked me to let her know when the lunch date happens so she could Tweet about it nationally, that gal can TWEET!!  She was the perfect keynote speaker for the event.  She loves politics almost as much as she loves educators.  She told some wonderful stories and inspired us all.  I look forward to reading her book!

There was plenty of time to mix and mingle as well. The folks at McDonalds were so happy to see me and Matt.  Matt's cousin is a Ronald McDonald so we were treated like rock stars. I can't tell you who the cousin is, there is a code to uphold!

I can't say enough about Doug Dooher.  He has been such a great mentor to me throughout this whole adventure. He has been through this process many times before.  He is patient and kind and he knows where all the goodies are and no one appreciates that more than Matt! Thanks Doug! 

No comments:

Post a Comment