Saturday, October 8, 2011

Dr. David Walsh

This is me with Dr. David Walsh.  When I told the parents in my classes that I was meeting with him, my excitement was obvious.  I got some pretty interesting feedback from them..."Try not to gush" and "Just don't cry when you see him" were two of my favorites.  Everyone in my classes graduates with a knowledge of Dr. Dave and the work that he has done on behalf of children and parents.  Without a doubt, his work at the National Institute on Media and Family shaped my practice as a parent educator.  In his work, I found the legs to stand on when teaching parents about the REAL effects of media on their child's brain, their child's behavior and the tone in their homes.  So much of the curriculum I deliver to parents about media and video games belongs to Dr, Walsh. I can't count the number of times I have watched "Meet CJ" all over the state.  I owe him a debt of gratitude.  With all sincerity, I told him that I believe that his work has changed the way parents set boundaries around media in Winona and beyond.  I read his latest book this summer called "Smart Parenting, Smarter Kids".  It is another great source of information and sure to be on the class list here in Winona. His website is one I have bookmarked and one I highly recommend.  drdavewalsh.com

I wanted to meet with Dave (I think I can call him that now) to bounce some ideas off of him.  I have been busy speaking to lots of Minnesotans with a big idea.  I believe the culture of childhood has changed and that children need champions to help families take it back.  I think it is doable but I was looking for some head nodding and fist bumping from Dave, a source of wisdom and a powerhouse of research, to confirm what I believe.  I got it!  The boost of confidence is just what I needed as I tackle my national portfolio. Thanks Dr. David Walsh, my mentor and my friend!

Hmmm, it wasn't until after I uploaded the picture that I noticed the Gandhi quote on the window....coincidence?  I don't think so.








3 comments:

  1. I love that he's wearing a shirt with the Aerial Lift Bridge! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to hear more about this! I went out and bought Mr. Walsh's new book yesterday and am devouring it. Please let me know how I can help families reclaim childhood!

    ReplyDelete