Monday, February 20, 2012

Bel Air Elementary PTA

I met Mark and Ruben, Bel Air Elementary Schools PTA Presidents last summer at the state PTA conference and was so happy when they asked me to come to their school to speak to the PTA.  What a great discussion we all had about the challenges families face to create a family life that supports what kids need from childhood. There were parents, teachers, the principal, and a school board member in attendance all interested in what is best for kids.

I wore one of my many aprons, not to cover a coffee spill but to emphasize the importance of a family meal.  Eating dinner together is a great predictor of a students academic success.  We talked about the forces that compete with that family time and shared encouraging tips to keep at it. Dinner time can be challenging but rewarding too.

My  heart went out to the mom who talked about her regrets about buying her 5 and 7 year old each a DS for Christmas.  She told me I could tell the whole world about how they have changed her families free time.  I will, I promise.  Thanks for a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment