Monday, July 2, 2012

The People of China

One of the gifts of this trip was an assignment from the NEA and Pearson to go with a guiding question in mind.  It gave the trip focus and clarity. I was drawn to little people everywhere I went.  My curiosity about where they play and who they play with made for very enjoyable days watching kids and their parents and much to my surprise, their grandparents! During the week, most of the little kids were in parks and streets with their grandparents while their parents were at work. The very young were adored. Without exception, parents and grandparents were thrilled to have their child's picture taken.  They encouraged their little ones to speak english and to wave to me. For some, I was obviously the first westerner they got up close and personal with. I spoke no Chinese except to say "hello" but I spoke "parentese". You know parentese, it's the sing song language that adults use around small children and the children in China responded to it.  I spent some time listening for it in Chinese and every time I heard it, it made me smile. I could go on and on about the parenting customs and culture I observed.  It was all so fascinating. What will stick with me though are the relationships that support the little kids in China.
How lucky they are to have four to eight adults who are crazy about them in their daily lives. The elderly in China are just about as lucky as the little kids in China.  They gather daily at playgrounds for grown ups and exercise and dance together.  The pace is wonderfully slow and methodic and folks really celebrate their physical selves.  They were more than happy to let us participate. They were friendly teachers and coaches and their willingness to show us how limber they all are made me smile. I left the parks vowing to practice until I can touch my toes.  On any given day, a 75 year old man in China could beat me  in a contest of strength and flexibility without question and smile all the while doing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment