Thursday, August 30, 2012

I Left My Heart In Hopkins

I was surprised at how emotional I was returning to my high school to deliver the opening day address to the teaching staff.  It has been years since I have been there.  What used to be Lindbergh High School, my alma-mater is now Hopkins High School, home of the Royals.  You can change the colors, you can add on to your hearts content, but it still felt like home to me.

Before I even started, I was met by a classmate,  Laura Thompson (she has a different last name now but I was so happy to see her that I don't remember it). She has been teaching in the Hopkins School District for 30 years. It was teachers like her that I was there to honor by honoring the many wonderful teachers I had in that district.  I know that many of them would have been surprised to see ME on that stage without a clarinet in my mouth.  I was an emotional hot mess until I knocked the first story into the balcony.  From there, I was on a roll.  I told story after story of lesson plans that still echo with me.  We laughed, we got teary, and we all felt so proud of our profession by the time we left.  I am forever grateful to the Superintendent, Dr. John Schultz for capturing this wonderful moment that I wont soon forget.

I can check another Minnesota Teacher of the Year off of my list of folks I long to meet.  Barb Stoflet teaches in the Hopkins School District and I was so happy to give her a hug!

I was able to have thoughtful conversation with the Early Childhood staff at Hopkins before we were all treated to an amazing picnic lunch served by the superintendent and the school board....YUM!  Becky Allen, the Staff Development Director, was my buddy all morning, thanks!  The very next evening after speaking to the staff and heading out of town, my high school track coach called.  He had heard that I was talking about him......it really is a small world and indeed, you can go home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment